Thursday, July 31, 2008

If You're Going to San Francisco


I did it. I'm here. The place where my Mom was born and raised, away from the crowded black city grime, smelly subways and the frantic, frenzied paces of New York City. There are layers upon layers upon layers of grief inside of myself that I feel need to be gradually picked away and loosened until they finally can dissolve, but nonetheless, I have taken the leap and moved here because it just FEELS right.

It's the first time in my life that I have made a choice like this, such a big (and costly) move, purely on my gut. If it wasn't for my mom's death, I wouldn't have been RIPPED away from New York, back to Texas. And, if I wouldn't have been RIPPED away from New York and had to witness my beautiful Mom take her last breath, I would have NEVER thought about moving out here to San Francisco. Something is nudging me and I would like to think that it might be her.

Adventures to follow... Adventures to those places that none of us like to go. Adventures inside of my head. Facing the aftermath, sweeping up the dust that has kind of settled, and all of the good and bad stuff that comes when death touches someone's life.

I hate to tell you this, but I'm headed out of here, this place, this earth, this whatever you want to call it, someday, who knows, maybe tomorrow. It's inevitable.

And, my friend, my dear, dear friend, you are too.

Now, the question is, how shall we spend our time?

No comments: