Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Simplicity Anyone?


I stumbled lately out of bed this morning and tripped my way to the subway, eyes half closed with no makeup to find a massive hoard of angry people hovering at the subway entrances. Everyone looked like cavemen scratching their heads and groins. The man wearing socks with sandals next to me couldn't understand the police officer when he told us "THERE ARE NO TRAINS RUNNING IN ALL OF MANHATTAN." The socks and sandals man then proceeded to go down the stairs to the subway station only to emerge again, looking overly pissed off and confused. Like the police officer hadn't told him that "THERE ARE NO TRAINS RUNNING IN ALL OF MANHATTAN."

All 24 lines to the marvelous NY Public Fucking Transportation System were apparently flooded from some blazing thunderstorm tornado that ripped apart Brooklyn last night.

I am really convinced that the Locusts are definitely on their way.

In a period of three short weeks I've experienced an EXPLOSION, a building COLLAPSE near my apartment(I'll explain later), a SHOOTING in front of my apartment door (I'll explain later), and now, a massive FLOOD. What's next? Are these signs from some God or a Higher Power or the Allah Global Warming?

I managed to squeeze onto a smelly bus and then I walked 40 blocks in high heels to midtown Manhattan with sweat beads dripping from my crotch to my toes. I then had to share a cab with some leathery old lady with frizzy hair from Connecticut:

"Nothing works anymore. This country is falling apart! They can't even hold a bridge up! The infrastructure of this country is collapsing from within!" she spewed. Driver! Can you please hurry!"

As Connecticut leather bags continued on her soapbox, I studiously looked out the window at the thousands of people frantically walking to work with their briefcases, backpacks, I-pods, Blackberries, bluetooths, Gameboys, laptops and Grande Frappucinos. It occurred to me that just 100 years ago people didn't need all of this shit. We didn't even HAVE public transportation.

In the world of television programming, there is a well known concept called "Feeding the Beast." Basically, the concept's theory is that a television viewer becomes increasingly sophisticated and demands more and more from a show.

The catch is that the MORE you feed the viewers, the MORE they want, and thus the cycle of dissatisfaction begins and ratings start to drop.

Will we ever have enough? Will we ever be satisfied? When public transportation fails us I've realized that the only true remedy is a teletransporter, that way, we can instantly be anywhere at anytime on time for that important conference call in between instant messaging our potential clients so we can sell them more stuff to communicate with.

When my Blackberry Pearl 8100 dies and I can't get to one of my TWO chargers (one for work, one for home) I feel lost, empty and alone, like Tom Hanks in Cast Away. When my cell phone dies, I die with it...

This morning I set up a web domain for my blog and here are SOME of the instructions:

Open the Domains tab and select My Domain Names. You'll be directed to the Manage Domains page.
Click the domain that you'd like to use with your blog.
Click the Total DNS Control And MX Records in the box entitled Total DNS Control.
Click Add New CNAME Record. If you've already created a CNAME record for your blog's address, click Edit next to the existing CNAME record.
For the Name, enter only the subdomain of the address you want to use for your blog. For example, if you picked www.mydomain.com as your address, enter www here.
Enter ghs.google.com as the Host Name.
Click Continue, and then click Add. If you're editing an existing CNAME record, click Continue and Update.


Really? Is that all?

No comments: